Government Initiatives For Healthcare in India
Healthcare has become one of India’s largest sectors, both in terms of revenue and employment. Healthcare comprises hospitals, medical devices, clinical trials, outsourcing, telemedicine, medical tourism, health insurance and medical equipment. The Indian healthcare sector is growing at a brisk pace due to its strengthening coverage, services and increasing expenditure by public as well private players.
- By August 2021, the Health Ministry’s e Sanjeevani telemedicine service crossed 9 million teleconsultations since its launch, enabling patient-to-doctor consultations, from the confines of their homes, and doctor-to-doctor consultations.
- In July 2021, India made its Covid19 vaccination platform, CoWIN, open source for all countries. Almost 76 countries have displayed interest in leveraging the CoWIN platform to manage their national COVID-19 vaccination drives.
- As of July 2021, Biological E. Ltd, is conducting Phase-III trials for its Corbevax vaccine. The company is expected to apply for an ‘Emergency Use License’ by August end and supply 300 million doses to the Government of India by December 2021.
- In July 2021, the Indian government granted Sanofi and GSK approvals to conduct late-stage clinical trials of their protein-based vaccines.
- In July 2021, the Ministry of Tourism established the ‘National Medical & Wellness Tourism Board’ to promote Medical and Wellness Tourism in India.
- In July 2021, the union cabinet approved continuation of the National Ayush Mission, responsible for the development of traditional medicines in India, as a centrally sponsored scheme until 2026.
- In July 2021, the Union Cabinet approved the MoU between India and Denmark on cooperation in health and medicine. The agreement will focus on joint initiatives and technology development in the health sector with the aim of improving public health status of the populations of both countries.
- In June 2021, PharmEasy acquired a majority stake in Thyrocare Technologies, a diagnostics chain, to diversify and bolster its testing business.
Leave a Reply